Saturday, January 30, 2010

Response to Menand

Like many of my classmates, I began the semester by reading "Show or Tell: Should Creative Writing by Taught" by Louis Menand (2009). The article's first appeal was it's title, a play on the writing advice I've given numerous students to "show, don't tell." But honestly, I have to admit the second appeal was the article's economical seven-page length. I already feel hopelessly behind this semester due to an out-of-town funeral for my grandfather in early January followed by a trip to San Diego last weekend for my sister-in-law's wedding at Park Manor Suites . This article gave me the opportunity to actually check something off my very long and growing To Do list.

Do I agree with Kay Boyle "all creative writing programs ought to be abolished by law" (p. 106)? No. I don't think so. I side with Menand that putting students "in the ivory tower puts them in touch with real life" (p. 109). When I reflect on my own experience of leaving a small town to attend college, I am amazed by the growth I experienced in four years. If nothing else, being a college student gave me something to write about!

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to teach a creative writing course at a community college. Unfortunately, I could only teach the course as an online hybrid which prevented students from developing the kind of relationships I wanted for productive peer review. I don't believe my class "made" anyone a great author, but it did offer students new perspectives on their writing and show them criticism can be productive once you get over the blow to your ego.

If I had to characterize my role as the teacher of that class, I wouldn't say I taught anyone to be a creative writer, but I certainly provided support by giving students the space to write and an audience to provide feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment