Friday, February 26, 2010

Is Christianity Just a Mistranslation?

I grew up with almost no religious background. My mom was raised Catholic, and Dad was Methodist, which led to some pretty mixed messages about Christianity. Mom told me I should pray to Mary. Dad said to cut out the middle man and talk directly to God. My parents' childhood religions couldn't agree whether non-clergy were qualified to read the Bible or not, and the one time I tired to read it, I couldn't stop giggling about that line about not coveting thy neighbor's ass. My neighbor was an overweight woman who wore ugly polyester pants every day. Who would want her ass?

After failing to find a church they both could live with, my parents were satisfied if my brother and I claimed there was some higher power but didn't talk about or practice anything specific.

I knew very little about Christianity as a child. After I took an Asian art class as an undergraduate, I think I knew more about Buddhism than Christianity. Then I met my Jewish friends who tried to help me understand their religion.

I remember having a conversation one night with my friend, Jeff. He told me that Christians and Jews both followed the Old Testament and believed in the same God, but the split occured when Christians believed Jesus was the son of God. Jeff explained that Jesus, a remarkable man, was not God/his son because Mary was not a virgin, so it was not an immaculate conception, hence no miracle. Jeff said he was taught somewhere in his religious education that a mistranslation has occured. The word used to describe Mary essentially meant young woman, but in the language the text was translated to (sorry, I forgot what the two languages were--Hebrew to English?), there wasn't a perfect translation, so the concept "virgin" was used as the closest approximation for young woman. Some people read this as proof of an immaculate conception and two millenia of wars and bloodshed have resulted due to a poor translation between languages.

In The Handbook of Research of Writing (2008), Prior and Lunsford say, "the translation of a text often has high-stakes consequences" (p. 85). They continue, "Jewish translation histories are punctuated by frequent arguments over...which of the many Jewish langauges/dialects ought to be privileged as the target, especially because the most common tongue of the Jewish diaspora--the Hebrew used in sacred texts--may not be amenable to new work coinages" (p. 86). Is it possible that Christianity is the result of a mistranslation?

When I think about translations, scribes, and the fact that the Bible was written from stories passed through oral culture, my friend's explanation is plausible. Those of us who have studied a foreign language know there are not direct translations for all words in all languages. We also know that when copying for hours, it's possible to make a mistake, and those of us who have played the "Telephone Game" know how quickly words get distorted.

When I learned about Buddhism in my Asian art class, I remember God/Buddha decided to take an Earthly form and Queen Maya was the person he chose to be his birth mother. Kinda sounds like an immaculate conception to me. In Nepal, women pray to Queen Maya, which sounds very similar to the relationship many Catholics have with Mary. I wonder if Buddhism and Christianity can be traced back to a common story and if all religions ultimately derive from a single source which has been mistold, miscopied, and mistranslated to the point it has evolved into separate religions.

I'm not out to convert or proclaim any religion is wrong, but I believe it's very possible that many of the world's religions believe in variations of the same higher power. If Latin could be vulgarized into languages such as French, Italian, and Spanish, surely some Master Religion could have turned into Christianity, Judiasim, Buddhism, etc.

2 comments:

  1. What a fascinating idea Katie - it certainly would explain many of the similarities between religions. Staying on writing, and not getting into a religious discussion, this is a great example of the "high stakes" Prior and Lunsford talk about in translating texts.

    The written word is in itself a very vague thing. We try to use words to get a certain point of view across, but without tone of voice or body language etc. it's impossible to know whether our words are being interpreted as we intended. I suppose this is one reason why I've always resisted studying a writer's intention in English classes - once that written word is out there, the writer's intention is negated, it's all about the readers' interpretation.

    It also reminds me of something a teacher told me on a counselling course - you can never know a person's intention when they say something to you, you can only know how you react to it. It makes me realise that as readers we need to track our reaction to a text and reflect why we react in a certain way, and as writers we need to realise that even with our best efforts, we cannot control how our work will be interpreted now, or translated in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your take on the mistranslation of the Bible. Thinking about the centuries that have passed and the number of scribes that have translated (or mistranslated) from and to multiple languages...is almost mind-boggling! Not to mention the political ramifications for translating with a particular position (lens) in mind. This makes it even important for readers of the written language to be cognizant of the geneology of a text especially if it was orally transmitted at an earlier time.

    ReplyDelete